Submitted: 05-30-2006 by Kado

I purchased the Dirigo 106 and a Dirigo 120 the same day. Compared to the 120 the 106 isn't even a consideration. It's a fun kayak on still water with no wind, but put a little wind in the mix and it can be extremely frustrating, especially if the wind is at your back. It is very stable and quit maneuverable. On calm water, itís a blast for turning, and exploring. However, any wind what so ever and it will weather vane. Every paddle stroke causes the nose to move sideways. Once the nose starts to go, the only way to correct is with a few very wide sweeping paddles on one side or using the paddle as a rudder, which get tedious if youíre trying to get somewhere. If you want to buy a 106, I recommend you spend a little more money and at least get the 120 or better. I bought the 106 for my girlfriend, but she found it to be too much work, so I use it and she uses the 120. She is much happier now! I would give the 106 a 10 for stability and maneuverability on calm water. It only gets a 2 for tracking, a 7 for comfort, and a 4 for speed (very slow, you spend too much effort trying to keep it tracking). I still have allot of fun with it, but I canít wait to get back in my 120.

Vasa, Inc.: