Submitted: 05-30-2006 by JGS

Bought one used September 05. I use it as a work-out boat and plan to use it for endurance racing. For what I've seen so far, it can handle 3 feet waves/surf very well. Good initial stability and responds well to lean for turning. Tracks decently in calm conditions but I believe it has been designed to be used with a rudder in all but calm conditions. This is certainly my experience with it. As most boats, it weathercocks but the rudder corrects that easily. I give it a 9 because the fit and trim is not excellent. I own also a Boreal Ellesmere and there is no comparison using the Boreal as the benchmark for quality. Bungees are loose, hatches are not 100% leak proof, stock backrest was poor, thigh brace padding is ungluing. I did the upgrade to the new backrest. Much better. The Sealine Smartrudder is not robust and I replaced it with a Feathercraft rudder. Retrofit was easy. There may be increased drag however. Overall very pleased with the boat for its intended use. Despite quality issues, I consider it good value given the price for a combo carb/kevlar boat. I recommend it.