Submitted: 03-05-2000 by Topher

The Old Town 160T is my first Kayak. We have a vacation home near Donner Lake and Lake Tahoe, so we were looking for a way to explore the Lakes with our 3 children. Stability, durability, and ease of use were our decision-making criteria. My wife is NOT a big outdoors person and she LOVES our 160T. It is extremely stable, very roomy, fast enough for our needs, and not too heavy. It is very durable, and I have no problem beaching it right up onto shore, but you should be careful to follow Old Towns recommendations as to how you store it (just like any polyethene canoe).

I take out my 8 & 12 year olds and 40 lb. English Bull Terrier, all at the same time! My wife and I have gone out into the middle of Donner and had an on-board picnic lunch. We don't like this kayak, we LOVE it, in fact, we're buying another one so our whole family can go out together (3 kids, 2 adults, 1 dog, and still room to spare. I don't believe this would be a good kayak for faster rivers or ocean bays though.