Submitted: 01-25-1999 by Brian Fluet

The Nova 16 meets my needs for an economical, all-purpose canoe. It's small and light enough to handle solo yet capable of comfortably handling my wife, daughter and a cooler for a day on the lake. It's easy to paddle over flat water yet is readily maneuverable on moving water. I chose the version made out of Royalite (a lighter version of Royalex) which shaved a few pounds off the weight. The reduced weight allows me to throw the canoe up on the roof rack of the car myself. Though after scraping bottom and bouncing off a few river rocks, I would recommend Royalex if you spend much time on a river. The seats are positioned for the sitting paddler. If you a kneeler, the seats are too low to get your feet under. I was able to get shorter spacers from Mohawk which allowed me to raise the seats. Purchasing directly through the factory was a pleasure. The sales people that I spoke with were very knowledgeable and helpful.