Submitted: 05-15-2006 by Rana

This is a very nice kayak. Quality construction, well designed. It is reasonably maneuverable, tracks well without the skeg and the skeg works well to aid tracking in windy situations. Fast for its size and glides very nicely.

I was looking for a low volume day boat that fit me well and that I could grow into as my skills developed. The Viking met all of my requirements. I am at the upper end of the recommended paddler size range at 5'8" tall and 185 lbs, but I don't feel like I am maxing out the boat's load carrying capacity. Primary and secondary stability are just fine and the boat rides well through rough water.

Kajak Sport says that the Viking is suitable for people up to 6 feet tall. I would question this - I have relatively short legs and wear size 9 shoes, but I find that I have the footpegs at the end of their travel and the tops of my shoes sometimes rub against the deck. Anyone considering the Viking should definitely try it out for fit.