Submitted: 05-15-2006 by jerlfletcher

Bought my OT Loon 138 used. Its one of the older models with the 55" cockpit. While not all that tall, I'm a bit round these days. The Loon gives me plenty of room and is extremely stable. I bought it because I wanted more room than my Necky Sky had, and wanted to be able to fish bigger water, my primary use for a kayak.

I live in Southeast Texas, so most kayak fishermen here prefer sit-on-tops. But, i couldn't be happier with my Loon. The price was right, the boat was clean with one a few use scratches, and it was easy dealing with the seller.

My Loon tracks very true. Like some say, it doean't turn on a dime, but you learn to make allowances for that. Its not the speediest craft on the water, especially with that wide 29.5" beam, but it moves ok. Speed isn't my need, stability is, especially when fishing

The Loon is easy to get in and out of. Its quiet on the water, no hull slap or any sound other then that of the paddle or me grunting when tired. Its a smooth paddling craft and takes little effort to do so. For fishing, it can't be beat by any sit-inside, though don't know about sit on tops as I haven't paddled one.

To me, the Loon is more like a decked canoe, though with a bit lower profile. It offers me what I need in a fishing craft for now. I would rate the Loon higher, except that its a bit too heavy, manageable, but heavy, the speed is less than some would like, and, in my Loon's case, the seat is a bit hard after a few hours fishing. Still, I would recommend the Loon to anyone who fishes lakes, river, or bays. Its also a great boat for kayakers new to the sport and those who just want to cruise and to whom speed isn't importang.