Submitted: 05-10-2006 by josephpatrick
The Stratus is a kayak for someone who tours at a brisk pace or races. It is efficient at this pace; more so than most sea kayaks. This is acheived by a more rounded, narrower hull, and longer waterline. However this rounded hull is round enough that depending on who you are, may make you sea-sick. I would test this kayak out in waves of a foot and a half or more for at least 20 minutes to see if you have a problem with sea-sickness. That is of course if you ever paddle in these type of conditions. I have never had sea-sickness problems in a kayak before, but the kayaks I've owned or kayaked all had a more shallow hull. I wouldn't say that the Stratus was instable, but you will notice that it has a tendency to be "rolley". It is not rudder-dependent like Epic's 18, however with enough waves you will want a rudder. With that said I do like the more comfortable footrest rudder system of the Epic's (Seal Line) and seat.