Submitted: 04-25-2006 by TheBigYaker

Forget about the Rating, here is what I like and dislike about this boat.

Me: Paddling for two years and also own a Impex Assateague. Larger paddler: 6' 6", 210 lb, size 12.5 shoes. I bought a demo Tsunami 145 (Model year 2005) with rudder a few months ago. Have had it on slow moving rivers/creeks, class II+ whitewater/fast river water and a big lake. I bought for it's initial stability for photography and as a boat for my wife, who doesn't paddle a lot, so we can go together.

PROS:

Good stable boat in slow water and fast water. Paddles straight easily (even without rudder). Turns okay (w/o rudder) with some lean and sweep stroke. Accommodates Big Feet and Long Legs. I can put my 36" legs on the footbraces, but I can not use the rudder as the foot braces are at their limit. If you have 35" legs or shorter, you should have no problem. Very gernerous cockpit to get in and out. Everyone should be able to get in and out easily.

Decent speed for a wide body. Not a speedy demo, but not a real slug either. My Assateque is faster and quicker to accelerate, but it is 3 feet longer and two inches narrower. Three hatches for storage. Good for a overnighter in sheltered water. Super comfy seat (Phase 3) with lots of adjustments.

CONS

Has three hatches, but the day hatch and the rear hatch are not separated by a bulkhead. Slow, but then again, if you are looking for speed, you shouldn't be looking at this boat. Large volume in the thigh area. High deck (16"). Foam bulk heads instead of ABS. High seatback would make layback rolls problematic. Typical persons buying this boat aren't looking to roll it often though.

I wouldn't bring this out into the big ocean unless it was a super calm day and I was staying close to shore. It handles wind okay (little weather cocking w/o rudder), but is slow and if conditions change for the worst, it could be a tough ride.

So far I like this for what I want it to do. It has performed admireably. I was thinking of trading up to a Tsunmi 160 or 165 when I can get one as a used/demo for a little more speed and a little more versatility.