Submitted: 04-24-2006 by redmond
I use them on a trailer and the new ones are awesome. They will lie flat if you loosen the bolts just a little. I take mine on and off and got tired of having to use a wrench every time so I replaced the bolts with eye bolts. Now I just grab the eye with my hand and tighten or loosen them. If anyone's interested I'll let you know how it works. If you have several boats they are excellent. The problem that I have run into with the Yakima's is that I have to readjust their spacing on the bar for each boat. You don't have to do that with the Autoloaders. Also, the new ones have you passing one part of the strap under the boat so when you tighten it, it lifts the boat off the Autoloader and supports it with the strap. The neat thing about this is that the strap will conform to any hull shape. And by the way, they fit perfectly on 3/4" galvanized pipe in case you're making your own rig.

New York Kayak Co.: