Submitted: 04-17-2006 by weasley

I purchased my Carolina 14.5 Poly boat last year (2005) in February. I was really pleased with the boat, but as my skills have increased I had a longing for a longer boat with a narrower beam. At 24.5 the Carolina is not excessively wide and for a novice paddler the high initial stability is very comforting. The boat handles well in 3 - 4 foot ocean swells, but due to its hull shape does not edge well. The boat has fair speed for its length and beam. I am not totally happy with the "thermo plastic" rudder that came with my boat. Seems a little cheap, but does the job when I need it. I noticed they have gone back to the metal Yakima rudder a year later.

To summarize this boat is great for a novice paddler or someone who occasionally paddles. Great for "recreational" paddling on flat water and protected harbors with an occasional trip outside the breakwater for excitement. The stability gives one great sense of comfort when paddling. My friends have thoroughly enjoyed paddling my Carolina. They were comfortable with it within minutes of paddling. BTW as someone else had written, I had a missing rudder bushing too and also was told by customer service that I really didnt need it, but they sent me one just for G.P. That is an improvement their customer service. The only change I would make is switching out the plastic rudder for a Yakima rudder.