Submitted: 02-26-2000 by SOS

I have owned the 5-O for about 5 weeks now (2-23-00), and have found it to be a worthy wave ski. I looked around at some of the more popular roto-molded wave skis, and also read this page's comments. When I gathered all the information I found that the 5-O was the best built, and best designed of the bunch. For instance all the fittings are molded into the ski, which makes it stronger than pop-rivets, and more waterproof. Also the fittings that are attached are brass and aluminum (very strong). I was able to put it through its paces because for weeks now we've had some very big waves. I've had the ski out on days when the wave faces have been about 10 to 12 feet, and must say that I am very pleased with its performance. I was told that the ski would do well with or without the fin, and had the opportunity to test that out when I was sent into the rocks on a very big day (on my first ride of the day!). The fiberglass fin was promptly broken off (but fin box unharmed), so I proceded to continue to ride the waves, and found it still was a lot of fun although a bit more squirrely. There are a couple of things that I don't like about it. One is the fiberglass fin. I like the fin, but it is to fragil for this type of ski. I found that the fin made for the Cobra Strike could be made to fit and worked quite well. The Cobra fin is nylon so it will flex when put in the wrong place (ie. rocks), it is also half the price (if you break the 5-O fin get the Strike fin, you will be happier; e-mail me for instructions). The next thing at this time is the belt footstrap kit (which I just received), this is a joke compared to the wave ski itself. For a ski of this quality, to make a cheap seatbelt setup like they did is sad, but am I complaining (yes, I'll try to send it back). If you get this ski just use the thigh straps, they work very well (I really like them). So if Perception wants to improve on this model they should make a nylon fin that is a little beefier than the Strike fin, and upgrade the seatbelt to something that is comparable to other wave skis (I will use the Strike fin until they do). Other than those 2 minor beefs this is a great ski! Look for a burnt orange 5-O in the So. Cal (LA) area.