Submitted: 04-11-2006 by Nahachagii

I've owned the Epic GP Recreational Ultra-Carbon for a couple weeks now and am fairly happy with it. My initial purchase to a Sit-In from a SOT was one of weight. When I saw the 26 and one quarter pound Epic sitting in the local kayak shop, I went ahead a sprung the 2 grand for it. My poor ole Cobra Tourer SOT was lingering around 60 pounds and I'm right at the poor ole age of 52, I figure every pound off that I can muster with a new boat would be just fine with me.

I must say though that the length of this boat only being 12 foot 8 inches makes it a little on the small side. I did though keep up with a couple of 16 foot plastics this weekend. Put a smile on my face.

Going from the SOT to a SINK is kind of fun. this weekend I took a beginning class and learned a wet exit, recovery, and few extra tibbits that will definitely come in handy. It's not so scary to be upside down with an unfounded fear of being trapped. The exits were easy (knock on carbon)

I like this boat for it's speed, and weight. The carbon color is not so bad either. I imagine it may get a little hot in Summer, but we'll soon see.

Doing a few recoverys this weekend was a little tricky as the other plastic boats were banging into mine, and even I had to crawl in the deck trying to be careful not to put any cracks in my new boat, even though I'm sure I did. I'll check later.

I give this boat an 8 as it is fast, and light. I'm thinking that a fourteen footer would be nice in carbon, as 12'8" is just a tad short for any ocean going, but then again, I will update this once I spend an afternoon on the open ocean.

Well, I must go for now and will say that I am relatively happy with this excellent little boat. Each time I go out (3 times) I've received a nice compliment on it's looks. It's a bit expensive for my pocketbook, but hey, ya only live once so ya might as well take some risks. I mean it could be a 100 thousand dollar car instead of a 13 foot kayak.

NOCQUA Adventure Gear: