Submitted: 04-03-2006 by coldkayaker

The Kayakpro Vampire is 21’1” long with an 18.75” beam. I have not had the opportunity to measure the beam at the 4” waterline but it seems to be considerably less than 18.75”.

Construction/design impressions: Extremely well made with the construction being exemplary – even the inside carbon/Kevlar surfaces being finished. The footrest, pull-bar and seat were quickly moved to fit my needs. The under-stern rudder appears to be carbon and is adjusted by two nylon adjusting barrels that were easy to use.

The design is striking with a relatively thin and high bow sleekly tapering to the stern – it looks fast. The cockpit is large with more volume toward the bow, apparently to shed waves and water. The bow has a keel that is discernable up to approximately 2 feet in front to the cockpit.

Initial paddling impressions: Upon getting the Vampire to fit me, I took it out for several paddles over two weeks. During this time, I experimented with shallow, deep, “suck-water”, up/down wind/current, etc. just to see where its strengths and weakness lay. First of all, I was very surprised at how stable it was. Side wind/waves were no problem. After a few strokes the Vampire was moving well. At that point I happened to look at my GPS – 6.9 mph! While warming up it was easy to maintain 6.3 – 6.8 mph for 5 min. or more. Most noticeable was the glide between strokes. There was little power lost between strokes. I did some 1min. pacing where it was very easy, even in very early season, to maintain over 7 mph.

Overall: The Kayakpro Vampire is very fast, stable and comfortable. I know at this point in the season I have not even come close to being able to evaluate the potential of this kayak. After more time in the boat I will file a follow-up, in-depth report.