Submitted: 03-31-2006 by feltman

A year plus into owning the Viking I can add to my below review that this boat rolls very well and with a minimum of effort. Laying back is enhanced by that nice sloping cockpit rim (really, I canít say enough about that featureókinda surprising that more manufacturers donít copy it.)

I can also attest to itsí speed as detailed in every review. There is no sacrifice in speed trading down from a 17 footeróeven a reasonably quick one. The trade-off as always is turning performance, but only slightly, itís still a very maneuverable craft.

It tracks quite well without the skeg. These days I find myself using just a tiny bit of skeg when Iím feeling lazy or when I have a crosswind or Iím in a following sea.

The boat has held up quite well to the harsh treatment we are forced to expose our boats to here in NYC. This is a city of very hard edgesóthere isnít a soft landing anywhere hereóand while it has itís share of surface scratching, the Vikingís lay-up has fared quite well, especially the deck.

As a confirmed boat junkie (I am averaging more that one boat trade-up a year) I really canít find an adequate reason to upgrade or switch away from this one. The carbon fiber Chatham 17 is somewhat tempting, but I really donít know what Iíd be gaining over the Viking besides a very slightly lighter boat.

Overall, I am quite satisfied and make no hesitations recommending this boat.