Submitted: 03-31-2006 by jakealex

We recently moved to North Carolina near Lake Norman and Mountain Island Lake. As a result, I decided to take up fishing. After a few weeks of unsuccessful attempts from the shore, I decided some sort of water craft was needed in order to get to where the fish are. Not wanting to spend $40,000 for a bass boat and all the accessories, I decided on a Heritage 9.5 foot Angler Featherlite. I made a great choice. Terrific fun and good exercise. Being I am over 6 feet tall and weigh 210 lbs, I was a little concerned at first that I may have needed a larger yak. No problem. I have plenty of leg room and the seat is comfortable. It is extremely stable and easy to paddle even into a fairly persistant headwind.

So, my wife and I headed out to Mountain Island Lake for our first kayak trip. She already had a 9 foot sit-on-top Ocean Kayak she used a couple of times in the back bays of Southern New Jersey last summer. Threw both kayaks into the back of my Ford Ranger and headed out. I loaded my Heritage up with a cooler, a dry bag filled with personals, tackle box, and an ultralight 5 foot rod in the built-in rodholder. We found this little cove where the water is only 6 inches deep and less in spots; a place where only kayaks and canoes could go. I can see the bass swimming around my kayak. I cast my line and WHAM a nice little bass on my first cast. Thanks to the Kayak getting me to where the fish are, I went from "fishing" to "catching".

I highly recommend the Heritage Angler Kayak to anyone looking for an inexpensive first kayak. Heck, I would recommend it to an experienced kayaker. It's a nice setup. Oh and Thanks to Dave at Old Town Outfitters in Rock Hill, SC who gave me all the information about kayaks and ultimately gave me a great deal on my kayak and all the accessories.

Aqua-Bound: